Karlo Paržik, Czech architect, born in village Jičin, Czech Republic 1857, and died in Sarajevo, 16 June 1942. Graduated at Academy of Fine Arts and Architecture and Construction.
In Sarajevo came with 26 years of age, where he worked nearly for 60 years. Advocated for the preservation of the historic part of the town and suggested the construction of new parts of the city from Koševo towards Sarajevo field.
He was active in Dalmatia, Zagreb and Belgrade, but projected and designed in Sarajevo. After the death of his only surviving son, Marija, the only member of his family left alive is his grandson Emil Paržik, who today lives modestly, because after the Second World War the family assest and property has been seized.
Karl Paržik gave his personal seal and a great contribution to urbanization and the construction of Sarajevo during the Austrian occupation.
Building of National Museum is tne most significant work of architect. The museum was established in 1885, and for the audience was open on Februrary 1st 1888. Works on the construction of the facility lasted to 1913, when the building was settled. By overall quality, this monumental ensemble that was created in Neo-Renaissance style, is certainly the best Parziks work.
He also designed the palace Marijin Dvor, built by the August Braun, and gives her name to his wife, Marija. Building Marijin Dvor (Marinehof) was built from the 1885 to 1899, as a residential-commercial building with a central courtyard. The façade was built in a neo-Renaissance style and classicism, as well all the building from that period, designed by Parzik. The building bears the symbol of the architectural heritage of the Austro period in our country.
Form of the temple is built with a corner domes at high tamburas, and covered with a shallow pseudo-decorative plastic. During the construction, the changes that Parik ordered were made, who is considered the author of the facility, and the temple was completed on 30.09.1902.
Selection of antique pseudo-Moorish style expression of this Jewish sacred object is not random because the decoration suggests their Eastern origin.
Today this is the only active synagogue in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the first Jewish religious building built in pseudo-Moorish style.
One of numerous Pariks masterpieces is Evangelical Church, the only one at the time of Austro-Hungarian government, and was built in 1899. It was designed in Byzantine-Romanseque style, as a central sub-domed building. Wing parts of the object were added around the 1911.
SHARIAT LAW SCHOOL
One of the first objects he build in Sarajev is building of Shari’at judicial school in 1887, in the pseudo-Moorish decorative manner with the elements and details collected from various regional shool of Islamic art. Today it is the Faculty of Islamic Sciences.
Another significant project he was doing was pseudo-Moorish style building a City Hall. He imagined it as equilateral triangle, with circular tower at the ends, covered with domes. The shape was adopted to the land where it was suppose to be built. Since Parzik did not obeyed the requests from the city mayor the project was accepted, and it was given, by the changed, design to the Alexander Wittek and Ćiril Iveković. The building today is created in the same design.
Also the first modern hotel in Sarajevo, Hotel Europe is another piece of this glorious architect.