Thirteen bridges over the Miljacka in Sarajevo were built between the mid 15th and late 16th century from Goat Bridge to the Ali pasha bridge, built in 1585.
The only written document indicating the date of origin of the bridge below Alifakovac (the Šeher-ćehaja bridge of Šeherija) is a transcript of the chronogram preserved in the Mostar City Archives, recording that the bridge was built in 994 AH (1585/1586 CE) by “Alija known as Hafizadić”.
Šeher Ćehaja Bridge and Hajji's Mosque
Tradition has it that the bridge renovated by Sarajevo’s Šeher-ćehaja (mayor) Husein Hodzić, following the floods of 1619/1920, which swept away six bridges over the Miljacka. In 1843 the river in spate swept away the two abutment pillars of the bridge, damaging three of the arches by the right bank of the river.
The repairs were founded by Mustafa-paša Babić, as regarded by an inscription on the renovated section of the bridge. In 1880 the bridge was again damaged by flood, but was repaired the following year.
When the river Miljacka was regulated, in 1897, one arch of the bridge on the left bank was filled in. In 1904 the stone parapet was removed from the bridge and canileverted footpaths with iron railings on consoles were added. In 1987 the load-bearing parts of the bridge, the footpaths, the roadway and the parapet were renovated.
In 1999/2001 repair, reconstruction, restoration and conservation works were carried out.