Built in 1530, at the same time when the Bey’s Mosque was built, this two-story rectangular building with square roof covered with cement tiles consisted of: a public kitchen where students, endowment administrators, indigent travelers (for up to three days) and the needy were fed.
Gazi Husrev Bey Public Kitchen with Hostelry
The hostelry provided overnight accommodation (for up to three nights) indigent travelers. Within this area, there was a place for prayer with the mihrab for the imam to lead the the prayer, which has been turned into the restaurant and café “Aeroplan”.
The ground floors along the streets were traditionally used for shops, and a purpose has also been maintained. In the courtyard, there is a bakery built as a part of the public kitchen, which still today functions as a bakery.
This is also the location of the two-story administration building for the Gazi Husrev-Bey endowment and Sarajevo’s only Sahat Kula (clock tower) dating from 17th century.
During the siege of Sarajevo, this entire complex suffered significant damage, especially from numerous shell hits on the roofs.