Morića han is the only surviving han (hostel) in Sarajevo. It was built in the late 16th or early 17th century, and was previously known as the New Hostel (Han Džedid).
It acquired its present name in the late 18th century, after the Morić brothers, who were in a perpetual state of rebellion against the authorites between 1747 and 1757.
It came into the ownership of the Gazi Husrev bey waqf (perpetual religious endownment) in the 18th or early 19th century. It is of the type of large merchant hostels, and was once able to receive caravans of 300 people and 70 horses.
Morića Han, carpets store
Today the ground floor houses a national restaurant with engravings of Rubaiyat of Omar Khayam, the poesm of the world famous Persian poet from 12th century, in the Arabic script. The café in the northern part of Morića han is probably the oldest café in Sarajevo: much of the social and political life in the city of Sarajevo took place there.
It was a meeting-place for artisans, merchants and the learned, and the guild assemblies were held there. The first floor and roof structure of Morića han have been damaged by fire on many occasions, and the building has frequently been repaired or rebuilt, but always according to its original appearance. It was originally clad with wooden shingles, over which hollow tiles were later laid.
Morića Han restaurant
The building had its own separate water supply and drinking fountain, with a well beside it. The most recent fire, which destroyed the entire building, was in 1957.
The building was restored in 1974.