It was built in 1462, over 500 years ago, as the first endowment of the founder of Sarajevo Isa Bey Ishakovic.
During the half a millennium of its existence, it has suffered many charges, although the fundamental concept of spatial layout, with its large doorway, was retained.
Emperor’s Mosque with Isa beys Hammam
It is believed that the original elliptic dome was replaced with a semi-circular dome. Most probably the first mosque had a square roof, which was later replaced with dome. This assumption is based upon the records indicating the first mosque in Sarajevo, and in Bosnia and Herzegovina, which was built with dome, was built in 1518 by Mustafa Bey Skenderpasic in the space of today’s Skenderija sport recreation center.
Emperor’s Mosque, inner courtyard and fountain
By regulation of Miljacka River, the courtyard and the mosque itself was left at the lower level in comparison to the Ulema Medzlisa Palace which was built by the Austrians on the leveled surface at the entrance to the mosque in 1911.
Emperor’s Mosque and ruins of Isa bey Hammam
The previously existing Šehidijina library was demolished and an extra embankment was added at that time.
Imperial Mosque in the night.
The mosque suffered damage even during World War II, but especially during the recent siege of Sarajevo, when numerous shells damaged not only the mosque, but also all other buildings around it, and especially the old cemetery next to the mosque where the founder of Sarajevo was buried.
Emperor’s Mosque, daytime prayers