Ferhad-bey Vuković-Desisalić built his mosque in 1561/1562.
Later a mahala took shape around it, known as Ferhadija. The mekteb, imaret, drinking fountain and ornamental fountain erected alongside the Ferhadija were burned down in fires in 1879 and 1897.
The Ferhadija mosque reflects the full maturity of the classical Ottoman style-domed mosque, portico with small domes, and beautiful built-on minaret.
Ferhadija Mosque, Sarajevo
Research works on the painted decoration inside the mosque carried out in the 1964/1965 revealed five painted layers dating from various periods.
The oldest and extremely valuable decorations of the first layer date from 16th century (in the dome, on the cornice and pendentives, the base of the corner calottes, the mihrab and the lunettes of the lower row of windows), belonging to the group known as Rumi ornament,m which were also to be seen in the Aladža mosque in Foča.
The next layers (on the calottes, central part of the mihra, and surface of the dome) consists of purely floral decorations with the features of 18th century style.
The third and fourth layers date from the late 19th century (1878), and the first quarter of the 20th.