Bistrik is one of the most beautiful parts of Sarajevo. Just below the entrance to the Mosque of Hadži Sulejman Čokadzija, below the Bistrik, there is one of the most mysterious buildings in Sarajevo: Turbe Jedileri, or the “Turbe of Seven Brothers”.
The name originates from the Turkish word “yedileri turbesi”, which means the “tomb of seven”.
According to the story, on the place of today’s Turbe, first person who was buried, was šejh who in 1463, came to Bosnia along with the Fatih Sultan Mehmed. Šejh purchased land known as „šejh’s long field”. It is an area from present-day Gazi Isabeys bathroom to the Dženetića house.
7 Braće, Jedilerska Tekija, end of 19th century
This area, which held its name 1878, also included Čokadži hadži Sulejman Mosque, where just near, already mentioned šejh built a house. In his testament, he demanded that, when he dies, is to be buried at the end of the yard (long field). From this we can conclude that this Šejh was the first person who was buried in the Turbe Jedileri.
Later on, in Sarajevo in 1494, an ugly and sad event took place. From the administrational coffers nice amount of money had been stolen. Robbers in order to conceal a crime for this act, charged two foreign Dervishes, passengers, who were in Sarajevo at the time.
Authorities believed to this, and soon after arrested, and executed them. Later on they found that the Dervishes were unjustly executed.
Jedilerska tekija, 7 braće
Prince Eugene of Savoy in 1697 burned Sarajevo.
At that time all the shops and houses were made of wood, and burnt to the ground. Ottoman authorities have made an investigation in order to detect those responsible for this catastrophe.
They have arrested several of Muslim leaders from Sarajevo to Bosanski Brod. Four of them were accused that have not timely provided notice of arrival of Prince Eugene of Savoy across Sava River. They were condemned to death and buried next to the three already mentioned.
Today’s appearance of Turbe is the foundation (waqf) of Bosnian governor (valija) Sulejman Pasha Skopljak who ordered that this cemetery should be fenced with a wall with seven windows.
Once in the vicinity of Turbe there was Tekija (Tekke), that was created gradually. In the beginning it was a facility for Turbe keeper. Later on Yedileri Tekke of Naqshabandi Order was founded by Sejfulah Iblizović in 1879. In the 1865 šejh Sejfulah Iblizović, after graduating at Constantinople came back to his origin place and took duty of Turbe keeper.
Here he begins with Dhikr. In the lists of Islamic religous buildings in 1933, it is told that Jedilarska Tekija belongs to Naqshabandi Order, and at the time actively operated. It is believed that Jedilerska Tekija, temporarily, moved away from Naqshabandi Order to Khalwati Sufi Order in the late XX century.
Jedilerska tekija, 7 braće, Interior
Tekija existed until 1937, when it was destroyed and at the area was built residential building of Čokadži Vakqf. Today, Turbe of Seven Brothers is very attractive spot, from the turistical as well spiritual point.
It is common for the Muslim people to come here and in every of seven windows drop few cents and say Al-Fatiha, the first chapter of Qur’an.