Koševo Cemetery is huge complex of cemeteries consisted of: Shahid cemetery (Muslem), Lav cemetery (Catholic) and Old Orthodox St.Mark cemetery.
Shahid cemetery Koševo (Šehidsko Mezarje) is recent Sarajevo 1992-1995 Siege cemetery, made purely of need to bury numerous victims of Serbian occupation of Sarajevo.
Shahid Cemetery - Šehidsko Mezarje
Authorities in need of space have turned secondary soccer stadium near Stadium Koševo into cemetery, which today represent a clear evidence and memory of unfortunate events that took place in Sarajevo during the Siege.
Shahid Cemetery at Koševo
Lav cemetery is older than previous told one, and during the war was used to bury people of different nationalities, that is why today graves are mixed all over the cemetery.
The Lion - Lav statue is most impressing symbol of this cemetery by which it got its name.
Old Orthodox St.Mark cemetery dates from the end of 19th century, where during its more than 100 years of existence it was final destination for numerous Italian, German families, many partisans soldiers from WWII, famous people such as Silvije Strahimir Kranjčević, etc.
St.Mark Orthodox Cemetery
The most interesting of all is Chapel of Vidovdanski Heroes (Kapela Vidovdanski Heroja), place of burial of majority of Franz Ferdinand assassins, first of all Gavrilo Princip, Danilo Ilić, Vladimir Gaćinović and others.
Chapel of Vidovdanski Heroes
Their bones were in 1939, after the Chapel was finished, brought and buried in joint tomb.
Names on the Chapel of Vidovdanski heroes
The Chapel of Vidovdanski Heroes was built in 1920 by the design of Aleksandar Deroko.