VISIT SARAJEVO is a great nature and environment lover, that is why we give our best to inform our users to boost green travel in Sarajevo, and worldwide as well. Here we list top 10 tips & tricks how to save the earth and some of them will have positive impact on your wallet during your travel. Lovely Jobely.
1. Plan your green travel – Sarajevo city with it transport connection (where train will take you to the place with a tenth of carbon used for a same journey by bus), is nicely equipped with public transport, so using trams, trolley buses will not only help to save the earth, but will help your bank account as well. Less pollution and driving left to the others :)
2. Where possible, walk: Start with the simplest option first. Don’t drive everywhere, walk those small trips. In stating the obvious, by leaving the car behind and simply walking or riding a bike you are doing both yourself and the environment good. Not only will you save money on fuel and the general upkeep of car but other knock on effects include the improved outdoor air quality and reduction on road congestion. Sarajevo is almost totally walkable city.
3. Take only necessary brochures or maps. Return others to the stand.
4. Reduce the amount of garbage you produce during travel. Use a digital camera instead of using film (unwanted photos and the process of developing film can produce a lot of waste). Bring along your own bag when shopping in local markets, or have clerks place everything in one large plastic bag instead of numerous small ones.
5. Conserve energy during your hotel stay. Turn off the AC/heat, lights, TV and radio when you leave the room. Close the drapes.
6. Conserve water during your hotel stay. Participate in the hotel linen program, and let the hotel know that it isn’t necessary to change your sheets and towels every day. Reduce the amount of water used for brushing teeth, bathing or showering. The average person uses seven gallons of water to brush their teeth when water is kept running; try rinsing with water from a glass instead. Reduce your laundry – Laundry consumes almost 40 per cent of the average hotel's energy for hot water. Be willing to use your towels and sheets for more than one day and help hotels reduce their energy use by at least five per cent.
7. Purchase electronic-tickets for airline travel whenever possible. Less waste. If paper tickets are lost, they can cost $75 – $100 to replace.
8. Get on your bike: You’ll not always be able to walk to your destination. Jump on your bike for those trips where you’d normally be jumping into the car without a second thought. You’ll develop your muscles, improve cardiovascular health, reduce congestion and generate zero emissions.
9. Get ready first, then go: How many times have you jumped into the car and realised your laptop or bag is still inside the house, then left the car idling while you fetch it? Plenty of times, it happens to us all. While you’ll never stop this from happening ever again, you can reduce the emissions by making sure you have everything you need before starting the engine.
10. Put your seatbelt on before starting engine: I read some time ago that on average we waste several hundred pounds / dollars (x2) of fuel by starting the engine and then putting on a seatbelt. Optimize your efficiency and maximize savings by securing your seatbelt first.